The Pensions revolution is coming


Posted by: Swindells FP, on January 6, 2015.


From April 2015, pension savers will now have considerably more freedom and choice as to how they draw on their accumulated pension funds.

In brief, everyone will have at least 3 choices:

  1. Use the “traditional” option of purchasing an annuity (guaranteed income for life) with 75% of your pension fund and take the remaining 25% of the pension fund as a tax-free cash lump sum
  2. Full withdrawal of your entire pension fund. As above, 25% of funds withdrawn would be tax-free, the remaining 75% would be added to other income earned and would be taxed at your highest marginal rate
  3. Flexi-access drawdown. This option will allow part or full withdrawal of both tax-free cash and the remaining 75% of the pension fund. You could withdraw just tax-free cash and nothing else, potentially accessing benefits very tax efficiently

Having outlined your options, there are five very important caveats:

  1. Do not assume your current pension provider will offer all of the above options, we expect many pension providers will be unprepared or unable to offer these options at launch. If they do offer these options, what will they charge you?
  2. Carefully consider the income tax (and Inheritance tax) implications of drawing significant taxable sums from your pension in one hit. A significant proportion could end up being taxed at rates in excess of 40%
  3. Your existing plans may contain valuable guarantees (guaranteed income at retirement or guaranteed growth rates on your fund) which should be considered before losing them
  4. Do you have penalties to pay if you were to access your benefits now?
  5. It is vital to understand how drawing pensions now may limit or affect your proposed future pension contributions.

Planning and maximising these new opportunities is key. Swindells Financial Planning is here to help you do just that. Please feel free to ‘Contact Us’ or call us on 01825 76 33 66 to arrange a free, no obligation, second opinion on your own situation.

How will the pensions revolution effect you?

Planning and maximising these new opportunities is key. To help you make informed decisions regarding your financial future in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere join us on 19th March for the next free Pensions Seminar.
For more details and to book your place visit to Pensions Seminar.

 



|

Enter your email

Get free investment, pensions and wealth management news and advice.

* indicates required

*We will never share your details with any third party.


Categories



Client Stories





Book a consultation


Your Name (required)

Email (required)

Phone Number

Age

Employment Status

Income

What you would like to talk about?

captcha

Enter exactly what you see above






Enter your email to receive free relevant news and updates.

* indicates required

*We will never share your details with any third party.


Latest… View all




Putting the current stock market decline in context


There’s no doubt hyperbolic headlines depicting the recent falls on the world’s financial markets are potentially anxiety-inducing. With the FTSE 100 Index falling to its lowest level since April 2017, the effect of the headlines is to promote a sense of uneasiness; we’re here to remind you that this shouldn’t be the case. Instead of […]

Read more →


Inheritance Tax is an avoidable tax


It is often said that Inheritance Tax is an avoidable tax, but many of us somehow fail to avoid it. Why is this? In our experience, clients’ failure to plan effectively is a result of the following perceived problems: Speed – How often will the thought of having to survive 7 years from the date […]

Read more →


What went wrong with the forecasts?


Reading the tea leaves Investors at year-end are inclined to reflect on the 12 months gone and muse on what the coming year might bring. Aware of this appetite for speculation, themedia tends to feed it with forecasts. These articles can be fun to read, but are even more so a year later. In January […]

Read more →


What should investors make of bitcoin mania?


Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are receiving intense media coverage, prompting many investors to wonder whether these new types of electronic money deserve a place in their portfolios. Cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin emerged only in the past decade. Unlike traditional money, no paper notes or metal coins are involved. No central bank issues the currency, and […]

Read more →